Had my yearly done in the last couple of weeks, including bloodwork. I was found to be Vitamin D deficient. (Most Canadians are...) My doctor prescribed Vitamin D at a dosage of 1000IU daily for life. I took the prescription to the pharmacy as I was a bit confused about being "prescribed" a vitamin. Discussed it with the pharmacist, and he concurred that it is something that it getting more and more attention. So I did a little reading this morning, and thought I would share what I found:
Summary of reading about Vitamin D, as well as correlation in treating SAD:
- very difficult to use to toxicity
- fat soluble, so stored and then used as needed by the body
- dosage varies from ~1000-5000IU daily, or 10,000IU every 3 days, or 25,000-50,000IU weekly (some taking a "break" on the weekends)
- Vit D deficiency identified in 17 varieties of cancer, heart disease, stroke, hypertension, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, depression, chronic pain,
osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, muscle wasting, birth defects, periodontal disease, rickets, and the common flu.
- D3 is cholecalciferol, a pre-cursor to the prohormone calcidiol. Vitamin D is required for the production and activation of the mood elevating neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine and noradrenaline/norepinephrine.
Creating a daily regimen for treatment year-round:
- daily Vit D supplement
- bedtime routine (to bed by 10pm, up at 6am. 7days/week)
- meditation
- light therapy
- going outside at lunch time
- exercise (3x/week to daily)
- tanning (weekly)
So... it's not a drastic health concern, but once again brings to mind for me the need for routine in my life and making some positive health changes. There's no time like the present, so I'm starting today! Took my vitamins this morning and will be in bed tonight. Might be a bit until I dig out my light therapy again. We'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment