Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Gift of Friendship

I'm not sure if finally, someone said it in a way that I was able to hear, or (more likely than not) I'm finally in a place to hear it. In any case, this Christmas I have been given the gift of knowing who I am for people in my life. Below are some excerpts of conversations I've had and are recorded to remind me of who I am when I'm caught up listening to the wee devils in my head.

"PS - I was just thinking about you and wanted to tell you that I think you are a wonderful person....high energy, positive attitude, willing to help, know your stuff, have a great work ethic, working to improve yourself (education and interpersonal skills), love to laugh, active in both work and fun aspects of the company, dedicated, stylin' (and more but I don't want your head to swell)....remember those things when you're feeling unappreciated, undermined and attacked....it will help you shake off the (more than likely unintended but nonetheless well placed) darts that come your way and redirect your thoughts and actions in a way that are true to the above character traits that are the biggest part of you....hugs!!"

"Over the past year, I have observed you finding a strong foothold toward your future. I want you to know that I am so very proud of you!!! I also know that you will succeed in whatever it is you decide to do."

"I admire you. You are so strong. You aren't afraid to do things I wouldn't dream of doing alone. You don't let being alone stop you from doing the things you want to do and living an exciting life."

"You are always doing fun things, and are so positive. You are a great person to be around."

And of course, there's the words of caution:

"It is good you know that being valued in a team is important to you. You also have to be careful that it is not just a self-esteem issue, and that it is an ego-boost to have people consistently express that they value you.

Women like us who want more from life and don't always know what that "more" is...we tend to then doubt ourselves, and then we look for validation elsewhere."

-----------------------------------

This morning, as I reflect on 2011 - seeing it out, closing it out -
and preparing to enter and embrace 2012, I am aware and thankful for
each of you and who you are. But most importantly who you've been, and
continue to be, for me.

New and old friends, and family - we've connected in a way that's been
profound for me in these past two years. I want to thank you for the
patience, graciousness, generosity and kindness each of you have shown
me as I've worked through my challenges this year. Your support is
tremendously valuable and treasured.

Not to mention how thoroughly I ENJOY having each of you in my life.
You bring me love, light and laughter as well.

A heartfelt thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment